How to Beat the Post-Vacation Blues
Some of you may have read my previous post that talks about the importance of vacation. It was full of heart and good points, however what I failed to include was how to get back into the swing of things once you’ve actually gone and come back.
Which brings me to today’s follow up blog: how to beat the post vacation blues.
I’m going to use myself as an example, since I’ve just experienced this all first hand, for the first time. It’s really easy to let loose and relax when you’re on the beach in another country (in my case it was the beautiful beaches in Greece.) Being that this was my first real vacation as a working girl, I had no idea how difficult it was going to be coming back to work, mid-week, after 11 days in Europe.
Let me tell you, it was not easy.
First of all, there’s the jet lag. Greece is 7 hours ahead, so it took me a little bit to adjust to their schedule (which I mastered quickly by simply not sleeping at night!) Then there was the eating schedule; I was used to eating dinner at 9 or 10 o’clock at night in Greece, so when I got back to Canada, I was getting hunger pains at 4am!
Second of all, I found myself quickly longing for the days of sitting at the cafe in the morning enjoying an espresso and then going to the beach for the day. That is definitely a luxury that I don’t have here in Hamilton. I swapped out espresso and beaches for hazelnut keurig and fighting my siblings for the bathroom (which is just as good, right?)
Lastly, I had a hard time concentrating at the office because in my mind I was still on vacation but in reality, I had about 10 briefs waiting for me.
So here is my advice to you if you’re going on vacation:
1. Drink a ridiculous amount of water – this will help your body recover and keep you feeling well, especially if your sleep cycle is off.
2. Don’t skip out on your coffee – trust me you will need it for awhile.
3. Try to keep yourself busy – sitting around will just throw you into a post-vacation depression.
4. Upload all your photos sooner rather than later
5. Brag to all your friends what an amazing time you had, so they can secretly envy you!